[THANKS: Now Segmentation Fault] Re: [offtopic] Dont't ECHO

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Daniel Martin wrote:

> echoed.  I have attached below a transcript of a simple telnet session
> to show you what's going on.

 Thanks alot ! :) It's great. Explain all the steps.

> Looking at your mail again, it appears that you are writing both the
> client and the server part of this application - if so, then you
> shouldn't be touching telnet options at all

 No. I'm just doing the server. My project is to do a BBS(Bulletin Board
Service) server. Finally I already had non-echo working as I want! :)

 Meanwhile, I'm having other problem:

  I would like to be able to send bold, underline or even colors to the
client(which connects to my server by telnet <machine> <port>). It seems I
that I need to use terminfo but with socket seems to be more complicated.
:(

  1. I don't want to use dup2() to use stdout as socket descriptor! I need
stdout to send results from server(like: got connection from
127.0.0.1 on port # 2344).

  2. I'm trying to use terminfo with success *but* when using tigetstr() I
get "Segmentation Fault" ! :(

       char *tigetstr(const char *capname);

  This Segmentation Fault only happens, to me, when capname's variable
don't exist on terminfo(5) ! So, I don't have no chance to control it, I
I think. I say that cause i had a file which will be read and convert it!
  Something like:

----cut here----
--------------------
  \bold|Welcome\sgr0|
   \smul|BBS\sgr0|
--------------------
----cut here-------

 I had a function which read those files and apply it to the client's
descriptor.

 Sintax:     \<capname>|

 3. What I do on my program is to get the result of tigestr() - when it
works - and remove the "$<2>" from the that result! So that I get
something like "[1m" and send it to the client descriptor. It seems to
work.
  I don't do any test to the remote machine about it environment variable.
I just do:

 setupterm( "vt100", client_fd, (int*)0 );

 It seems to be working ... I still had those segmentation fault problem.:(

 Thanks.

 Best regards and a Mery Christmas to you,
    Nuno Carvalho

จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ
   Nuno Emanuel F. Carvalho
 Dep. Informatics Engineering