Re: package splits

As a user, I would recommend that developers use 'recommends' very
sparingly.

The problem with 'recommends' is that if you use dselect and don't install
one of the recommended package, you get reminded each time you run
dselect and have to use 'q' to escape the dependency resolution
screen.

I'd like to see the treatment of 'recommends' be changed so that when
selecting a package brings up the dependency resolution screen, a package
in the 'recommends' category would be marked install (and 'suggest' would
be mentioned, but not selected for install), but if the user unmarked it,
dselect would accept this and not ask (or require using 'q') each time
dselect was run.

I just upgraded a system to frozen today with 'apt-get dist upgrade' (and
found a bunch of mirrors where the Packages files disagreed with the
available packages, btw--otherwise it was fairly clean) and the
installation process did point out that one should be aware of the xbase
splits.  This should also be pointed out in the slink upgrade
documentation.

Bob