is this legal?

I suspect this should go to debian-legal, but I don't think I can handle
Yet Another Folder :) So, I'll ask here (and this may have been done
already). Say for example I want to write an X app called (in an
appropriately clever fashion) xwords. This would basically duplicate
Scrabble (r) board and rules...if I don't call it Scrabble (r), can I do
it, or will big bag Milton Bradley lawyers come after me with hacksaws?

---
Lowery's Law:
        If it jams -- force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

D'jinnie/Jinn, encountered on IRC and select MU**. (jinn@irony.org)
finger jinn@irony.org for PGP public key