Re: An old idea, brought back to life

Quoting Oscar Levi (elf@buici.com):
> And who is going to test this version?  Let's say we do this.  Let's
> say that the unstable is the first stop for new packages.  After some
> time when 'we' decide that these work we put them into unstable.  Who
> is going to run prerelease Debian?  If I run prerelease Debian, how is
> that different from running the current unstable?

I think what you're missing is a change in release philosophy. As it
stands now, a release is an all-or-nothing proposition. Packages that
aren't ready delay the release of packages that have worked reliably for
months. What we could do instead is move packages into stable as they
are ready instead of waiting until all of unstable is ready. This is
especially useful for new packages, e.g., one that is released just
after a freeze, and which might otherwise wait a year to make it into
stable.

Mike Stone