Adding users from a list or database?

What do you do if you have to add many users on a regular basis?

I would like to be able to add users from a list, to avoid the
interactive nature of adduser.  Is there a tool that does something like
this?  A couple of years ago I modified adduser to read entries from a
simple database (one line per entry, fields deliminated by colons) and
automagically create user accounts for them.  Thats based on a really
old version of adduser though.

If there is no such tool available, I may modify adduser to be able to
run non-interactively, with all need info passed via command line
options or options file.

--
Steve Phillips                        Phone: (715) 830-1200 x109
Silicon Logic Engineering, LLP        FAX:   (715) 830-1887