Re: Proposed recompilation to remove dependency on libc6 2.0.7u

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Since I lost two disks I had to re-install one of my machines.  I
> installed hamm, then upgraded to slink using dpkg-multiftp.
>
> I had to call [I]nstall twice (maybe thrice, I made some mistake)
> to get everything installed.  The packages containing a pre-dependency
> on libc were only installled by the second run.
>
> This is acceptable.  I don't see a reason for re-compiling packages
> to get rid of a versioned libc dependency.

You are an experienced Debian user, so you don't mind having to call
[I]nstall twice.

Now, for a while, think about the user that thinks that Debian is
difficult to upgrade.

Clearly, having to [I]nstall twice will be better than having to [I]nstall
three times, and also once is better than twice.

Don't you see still a reason to recompile essential packages?

I think it is quite obvious that doing so may reduce the number of
required [I]nstalls. This is always good, and it is never bad.

--
 "aee74ea6bf32d145f1d8e67a2307a452" (a truly random sig)