Re: New section in potato?

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 11:00:23PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> I have thought about a special section for gnome as well.  Somebody
> started a discussion with me on IRC so I had to discuss it with him
> (which I appreciated).

That was probably me because at one point or another I discussed it with
you to gather your thoughts on it.

> If there should be a gnome section installed in potato it should only
> contain core Gnome packages and not highlevel Gnome Applications that
> work perfectly with other systems (noGnome, noKDE, KDE, CDE, UDE
> etc.).
>
> The current situation reflects that there are quite some applications
> which are are meant core Gnome packages (gnome-core, libgnome,
> gnome-corba, gnome-multimedia, gnome-net, gnome-i-dunno).  In contrary
> to highlevel applications these are only useful if one wants to
> install Gnome itself.  If the number of packages is more than 10 I
> feel that there is a certain need for it.
>
> This would mean that gnome-cvs still has to go into devel and
> gnome-games has to go into games, while gnumeric is math or something
> and gmc is util or misc.

Good ways of looking at it, but I think it has been pointed out there are
more serious problems which this does not really address.  And maybe they
don't need to be addressed now, that's kinda why I brought it up.

--
"Shall we play a game?"  -- WOPR