Re: Nomination question: Redhat

Previously Joseph Carter wrote:
> Yes, you're making my point again.

Oh oh :)

> I think your agument about the security team not being big enough to
> handle the future is probably an argument for adding to the security team
> and done with caution that might be a good idea.

I never said the security team isn't big enough, I only said that it wasn't
big enough to audit all packages. This is not a problem, since auditing
is not the job for the security team. If you really want to start auditing
code it will be much more productive to subscribe to security-audit and
join them. That way all distributions benefit.

> No they aren't secretive about the fixes. Usually you don't hear about
> the problems until they are fixed though.

There is a special, closed list for discussions about security between
the different Linux vendors. On there things are discussed occasionally
before a fix is known or available. And when someone finds a problem
that has not been reported before in a public forum it is usually posted
to that list as well. So it really isn't that bad.

> I'm not so sure this is a good testcase as it's a rather big project.

But it is quite easily divible in seperate sections, such as the database,
the frontend and the packagemanager-specific parts. I'm pretty sure
we can at least try to cooperate on the database part.

> FWIW, I tried to coordinate with Redhat on the QPL thing as suggested
> here and didn't get a reply either.

I did get a reply by now, and we'll have to see how it goes. Being in
a different timezone kind of slows discussions down though :(. The
most important thing is known who you have to mail at RH I think,
since they don't have a shared list like debian-devel.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl