Re: Fwd: [comp.risks] Risks Digest 20.11

jim@jimpick.com (Jim Pick)  wrote on 13.12.98 in <[🔎] 87hfuzbld6.fsf@fleming.jimpick.com>:

> kaih@khms.westfalen.de (Kai Henningsen) writes:
>
> > > According to some international developers of crypto software, some
> > > Wassenaar countries have exemptions in the works for free or Open Source
> > > crypto software (with various definitions of what's allowed).  There are
> > > also supposed to be exemptions for public domain software.
> >
> > Wassenaar itself exempts that stuff. See http://www.wassenaar.org.
>
> The exemptions listed on http://www.wassenaar.org/ predate the new
> agreement.

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm talking about the documents
marked 03-12-98.

> The new agreement was reached behind "closed doors" - the details are
> not yet public knowledge, AFAIK.

They are on http://www.wassenaar.org. Just go there and look. (They
weren't there the first time I looked, but they have been since several
days now.)

> The only inside information we have
> so far comes from the Reuters news report, where the U.S. envoy
> claimed victory.  Until more details come out, it's impossible to say
> with any certainty whether the exemptions we currently rely upon have
> been maintained or changed.

You are pretty far behind, then.

MfG Kai