Re: Versioned Conffiles was Re: Contrasting BSIGN and TRIPWIRE

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 10:04:02AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 08:07:59AM +0000, John Lines wrote:
> > Oscar Levi wrote:
> >

> > > My next project is to implement version control for system
> > > configuration files.  This can integrate with bsign, too, in that the
> > > administrator can sign (bless) the edited config files as part of the
> > > standard process.  If someone is really paranoid, he can use a
> > > smartcard for signature generation and/or a NFS mount of the system
> > > being adminstered to isolate encryption from a vulnerable system.
> > >

> > I would like to see RCS support for system configuration files - something like:
> >
> > If when the user says they would like to install a new conffile from the
> > package, then
> >  If there is an RCS directory for the conffile then check in the old version,
> >  and check in the new Debian version, giving it a suitable label (saying which
> >  package version it came from etc.
> >
> > This could supplement (where RCS was available) the various different systems
> > which keep multiple old conf files (such as the rotated apache conf files
> > system - which I really like BTW)
>
> cfengine to a great degree supports this (since it uses cvs) it is not
> supported by dpkg tho.

I'll look into cfengine.  My observation in the past is that admintool
authors are trying to replace the config files with a UI.  I don't
want to do that in the first step.  I'm much more interested in
remote, centralized administration of a network of hosts.