Re: DPLs : what do you think about ...

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 03:29:25PM -0800, Darren Benham wrote:
> On 14-Dec-98 Ben Collins wrote:
> > So you prefer that our packages get out of date in out frozen dist while
> > we fiddle around with the next release? It is well known that our releases
> > have outdated packages, atleast compared to others. Example, cvs 1.10
> > isn't even in slink while, from my understanding, the 1.9.x that is in
> > slink is considered beta to the 1.10 release. 1.10 has been available for
> > quite some time, i think as far back as the hamm freeze.
> >

> Not takeing sides on the frozen/deep-freeze split off argument, I'm not sure
> *this* has anything to do with when unstable splits off.  This is probably more
> due to maintainer's "slacking" (I realize they're volunteers) and/or Debian
> leaving packages adopted/maintainers on the books long after they've left the
> project (and I'm including the ones that don't mention they left).

Being the maintainer in question, its more a question of my bandwidth to
master.debian.org. I had cvs 1.10 packaged almost as soon as it came out
(which BTW was when hamm was stable and slink unstable), but my connectivity
problems to master (and the recent problems I have been having with hands,
etc.) meant that it couldn't be uploaded. In the end, I just gave up and
went straight to 1.10.3, which is now sitting in the Incoming queue (after I
realized that half of my upload could be done offline, by ftping the
pristine source to master using nohup and wget).

Although it might be annoying "not to have the latest release", there is nothing
in 1.10 that wasn't in 1.9.29 apart from a couple of very minor bugfixes;
nothing release-critical, security-related or even functionality-limited.
IMHO, the version number is irrelevant and what counts is what it does, but
I recognize some people might want a so-called stable release if there is one.
Note that the last "stable" release, 1.9 actually had several security flaws
in it, and no patch was put out to fix these - you just had to upgrade to
the beta.

And now I see that a 1.10.4 has been released, and is again distributed only
as a BIG (2.5MB) tar.gz. Doesn't seem to have much new, I'll aim to update
the package every 7 or 8 betas if no showstoppers turn up in between.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP Key: finger tom@master.debian.org, http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pgpkeys.asc.