Re: More problems for non-US?

jgoerzen@complete.org (John Goerzen)  wrote on 03.12.98 in <[🔎] 19981203225150.D8992@complete.org>:

> According to http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/981203/3l.html, 33 more countries,
> including Germany, have made exportation of encryption technologies illegal
> (or at least some of them).  Even though I'm in the US, I view this as a
> VERY serious problem.  Furthermore, I am concerned about the future of our
> non-us archive.
>
> Can somebody furnish more details?

As far as I could find out from http://www.wassenaar.org/ and searching
the net, it's not quite true.

Apparently (this part I'm not sure about) crypto stuff has always been in
Wassenaar, except enforcement has been rather different in different
nations, which is why the current version talks about "modernizing" crypto
controls.

Anyway, what is really obvious is that the US version of what happened is
just spin control.

Truth is, the US lost heavily wrt. crypto:

* There are *no* special rules for key recovery products
* Anything that is "in the public domain" is not controlled
  - according to the Wassenaar definitions, that means anything on ftp
  that can be freely mirrored is definitely not controlled (yes, by those
  rules, even our non-free stuff is "in the public domain")

There's more, but this is the stuff important for us, and it means we have
*no* additional problems.

MfG Kai