Re: chown: Function not implemented

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 03:37:38PM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:

>     cfm> Is this right?  root can not change ownership of a symlink?
>
> You want lchown. Note that it's only available as a system call.

In fact, lchown was only implemented in the 2.1.x kernels, as well as
glibc2.1 (IIRC).  I think the latest fileutils (when compiled with glibc2.1)
knows what to do about that.  In any event, ownership of symlinks is rather
moot, as the ownership of the linked file is what's important.  You need
permissions on the directory to modify where a symlink points to.

--
        Scott K. Ellis        |          Argue for your limitations,
        storm@gate.net        |        and sure enough, they're yours.