Re: /home as noexec and X

Hi,

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Matus "fantomas" Uhlar wrote:

> -> > 		if it's executable (chmod +x)
> -> > 			execute it
> -> > 		else if it's not executable
> -> > 			run it with 'sh'
> ->                                     ^^^^
> -> Can this be changed into:
> ->                         run it with "user's shell in /etc/passwd"
>
> I don't think that's a good idea;
> i am using tcsh but usually write scripts in sh...

The idea behind it is that the xsession should behave like any regular
login.

If you use tcsh, then you can in the current scheme not source
your .profile in .xsession because /bin/sh will not grok the tcsh'isms.
And you'll have to source .profile, because that is the only way it can
put variable definitions in the xsession's environment...

I stumbled upon this after linking /bin/sh to /bin/ash and found that I
couldn't login to xdm anymore, because the xsession aborts when .xsession
has errors (i.c. bashisms when it is in fact interpreted by ash.)

Maybe my proposal isn't the best solution either, but I'd really like to
see a scheme where the xsession would begin with parsing the user's login
scripts just like any regular login(1).

Cheers,

Joost