Re: Intent to package: fastDNAml

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> writes:

> Field: Biology (research)
>
> fastDNAml is a reimplementation of the dnaml program (already in slink, in the
> "phylip" package).
>
> The main problem is the licence: there is absolutely none included, the
> authors do not reply and people who know them tell me that they won't but I
> can "probably" go on with packaging and sending to "main". I feel a bit
> unsecure about that: according to the Berne Treaty, no licence means that
> everything is forbidden, not that everything is allowed.
>
> Did anyone already have such a problem?

Unfortunately your insecurities are warranted. I think you will have to
hope for a reply from the authors.

Debian Policy 2.5.0, section 2.1.6:

2.1.6. Further copyright considerations

     Note, that under international copyright law (this applies in the
     United States, too) _no_ distribution or modification of a work is
     allowed without an explicit notice saying so. Therefore a program
     without a copyright notice _is_ copyrighted and you may not do
     anything to it without risking being sued! Likewise if a program has a
     copyright notice but no statement saying what is permitted then
     nothing is permitted.

	Martin.