Please some recommendations for a wanna be packager

Hi,

I would like to start pack the Visual Development Kit (VDK) for Debian.
VDK is a C++ wrapper for GTK+.

As I have never packed something before I would appreciate some hints on
what to read to be able (as soon as possible) to acquire my goal. I am
also curious if somebody else has VDK in plans for packing.

TIA,

Ionutz

PS: I am reading now the Debian GNU/Linux FAQ which seems a very good
starting point. Nevertheless, I would appreciate some human output :)