Re: critical bugs which can be closed or demoted

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.981208101408.11410V-100000@dwarf.polaris.net>, Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
> Personally, I like having the priorities in the control files. Then,
> if I only have the package I can still tell what priority it is. The
> fact that all packages don't do this (it is suggested, but not
> required, by policy...last time I looked) makes the idea only
> sometimes useful, but I can't always get to the overrides file to
> check.

> When the priority in the control file of the package does not agree
> with the priority in the overrides file, there should be a bug
> reported. (I'm not conviced whether it should be against the package
> or the overrides file. I guess the package, so the maintainer can
> negotiate any changes in the overrides file.

This is not a bad idea.  All we would need to do is:

 * require 'dpkg-gencontrol -isp' (export the control fields to the package),
 * autogenerate the override file from the packages
 * compare the distribution's override file with the autogen'd one, and
   do a little report by maintainer

Any volunteers?  [Personally it seems to be a low priority to me.]