Re: Considering packaging: Microsoft Web Font pack

Ben Collins <bmc@visi.net> writes:

   > 	Restrictions on Alteration.  You may not rename, edit or create any
   > 	derivative works from the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, other than subsetting
   > 	when embedding them in documents.

   This automatically makes it not DFSG free since we cannot alter the
   original in any form, not even for our own use. This obviously refers to
   the fonts themselves.

Is creating a .deb of the fonts a derivative work?  I think that
Microsoft's lawyers might think so, which is what counts in the this
case.