Re: Ian's DFSG2 would harm Debian and Free Software

Hi,

 John> Dale Scheetz writes:
 >> With a proper license forking is no problem, and the freedom that is
 >> maintained is the users freedom to choose the original work over the
 >> forked version. Properly used "immutable source" provides additional
 >> freedoms not provided in other licenses.

 John> I think that doubling the amount of source that must be distributed
 John> could qualify as a problem.

	An inconvenience, maybe. Does that make the original software
 non free? I do not think so. Note that this doubling is in effect
 only when one forks. Isolating one;s fork from the original version
 maybe a good idea in the first place. Just because patch only forks
 are not possible should not make software non-free.

 John> I do not favor evicting "patch clause" licenses from the DFSG, but that
 John> doesn't mean I like them.

	My sentiments as well.

	manoj

--
 Better than a thousand pointless verses is one stanza on hearing
 which one finds peace. 101