No more .deb on KDE ftp

Dear Raphael,

> i wonder where I can find KDE .debs since there's no more kde .debs
> on the KDE ftp... a ftp site that is "apt"able would be great.

We are afraid that redistribution of KDE binaries linked with the present
Qt is not legal.  (We are afraid enough to not want to run the risk since
no qualified clarification has come out...see the notes before flaming.)

Hence we are not distributing it currently, not even as non-free.

> By the way, why doesn't KDE distribute .deb any more ? Is this
> a revenge ? Or only a temporary FTP problem ?

In the discussions it became apparent that it is not even clear whether it
is legal for KDE or Troll Tech, Inc., to distribute KDE binaries (since
some of the KDE programs include GPL'd programs - it is a long story that
you can find in the archives, if you really want to... :).

> ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/1.0/distribution/deb/hamm/binary-i386/ is
> desperately empty...

>From Debian's point of view there is no point in having KDE .debs (or .rpms
or anything else, for that matter).  This may be while you still find .rpms
and others but no .debs since Debian members have expressed the doubt the
strongest.

Note the following (just to avoid another...intense...exchange):

1. There is not agreement as to whether it *might* be legal to include the
   current KDE in non-free but it is certain that no unambiguous
   justfication has been put forth.

2. Everyone (KDE, Troll, Debian, others) are working hard on ensuring that
   the license for the next version of Qt will not have this problem and we
   all agree that *that* version of KDE is welcome back in Debian
   (personally I even hope it can go in the Official distribution by virtue
   of being really free in the DFSG sense).

I am sorry about the mess but it is Debian's policy to make certain that
our distribution has no legal problems.

Cheers,
	Kristoffer
--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, phd, prof.associé  <http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~krisrose>
addr: LIP, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, 46 Allée d'Italie, F-69364 Lyon 7