Re: glibc 2.0.7u-7 is in Incoming

On 2 Dec 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > If your packages have a specific version dependency for libc6 they will
> > need to be rebuilt using this release of the library.
>
> Is it a case of they "must" be rebuilt?
>
> Or is it just a situation where it would be "nice" to rebuild them --
> so they can be used with hamm without the dependencies getting in the
> way?
>
> If it's a case where things "must" be rebuilt - we've got 661 packages
> to rebuild.  Maybe we should automate that.

The only packages that "must" be rebuilt are those compiled against
2.0.7u-1 thru -5. Such programs will die with unsatisfied
__register_frame_info symbols.

Since it should be a straight forward recompile against the new library
automation should be pretty easy. I'm not sure just how much faster this
will be than to let the maintainers rebuild their own packages though.
Maybe some combination? I have already rebuilt those packages of mine that
are effected, and will be uploading them today.

Luck,

Dwarf