Re: Ian's DFSG2 would harm Debian and Free Software

On 02-Dec-1998, Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:

> While the need for patches for modification causes some logistical
> problems, we should never seek to simplify those logistics at the expense
> of freedom.

The logistical problems caused by patches are rather small, and
can be managed easily.  For an example, I invite people to look at the
Debian source archives.  Actually the Redhat sources are even
better because of RPMs multiple patch feature.

I would oppose any DFSG that discriminated on a relatively benign
irritation like this.  I think that worrying about it wastes a
lot more time than actually applying some patches.

--

Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking
about my work.

Tyson Dowd   <tyson@tyse.net>   http://tyse.net/