Re: EURO patch

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 05:51:03PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 07:28:35PM +0000, Tom Lees wrote:
>
> > >   2) I won't be happy if I have to answer "But my Microsoft
> > >      based system is able to do an Euro symbol, why can't I do the
> > >      same thing with Debian?"
> >
> > But my Microsoft based system is able to do a pound symbol, why can't
> > I do the same thing with Debian?
>
> Because the Pound will be replaced with the Euro anyway :-))

It might surprise you to know that the anti-euro campaign is getting
(and about to get) quite strong here. Particularly, there is major
opposition from the Murdoch press. In fact, many have said that
our next General Election will be fought on a "save the pound"
basis by the Conservatives.

Not to get too political or anything, but that is the kind of argument
which really annoys me: "Why should we have the Euro?" "Because it's
inevitable...". (Yes, that DOES seem to be the main argument all its
proponents seem to be putting forward (to the General Public)).

Anyway, here's what I want to know:-

How do I get joe (and less) to deal with the pound symbol properly but
still escape the nasty low chars (0-31) (escape codes can be pretty
dangerous under an xterm)?

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP Key: finger tom@master.debian.org, http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pgpkeys.asc.