Re: Ian's DFSG2 would harm Debian and Free Software

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Avus wrote:

> Ian's DFSG2 would harm Debian and Free Software
>
> The new version of the DFSG, as proposed by Ian Jackson, would have
> disastrous consequences on the public image of Debian, and would lead to
> a split of the free software movement, if not Debian itself.
> I'll take the time and sketch how this step would be received/seen by
> the public.

I was right with you up to this point, but the rest of your argument is
pure conjecture, lacking facts, and doesn't correctly address the problems
with Ian's proposal.

Don't get me wrong. I am against the changes as well, but for completely
different reasons.

To speak to your statements below:

I don't think that this has anything to do with Qt or KDE. While it may be
true that there are some true "KDE/QT Haters" in the group, they neither
represent Debian, or even a majority of developers.

Whether or not Ian J. is one of this group I can not say, other than
to say that he doesn't look that way to me, but it is not relevant.

While Ian is our "fearless leader", we also have a constitution to govern
our actions now, and the leader must convince the electorate. Since you
have admitted that other developers agree that this is a bad idea, we
would be better served if you would stick to the reasoned arguments and
not try to make this a battle of personality. You can shoot at Ian if you
insist, but he isn't the correct target if you really want folks to listen
to why a new DFSG isn't a good idea.

Waiting is,