Re: APT [was Re: Is this really the right thing to do?]

Previously Mitch Blevins wrote:
>  1) It keeps a hidden (not viewable thru the apt interface) status
>     list of the files that have been marked to be de-installed
>     when packages that depend on them are removed.

Valid point, we'll need to add that. I'll put it in version 2.1 of
the design.

>  2) It doesn't allow for people who are upgrading and already have
>     these 'dependent-but-useless-by-themselves' packages installed.
>     It wont mark them unless they are newly installed because of
>     a dependency.

Basically this is an upgrading problem and is already covered by your
third point.

>  3) It doesn't allow fine-grained control.  You can't unmark a package
>     if you decide later that it is useful by itself.  You can only
>     set a global option to not remove it, which will disable this
>     functionality for all packages.

This is very much related to the first point: since the UI doesn't
show this flag you obviously can not toggle it

>  Define a boolean status field for 'Hooked', which can be toggled
>  on or off by the user thru the APT interface.

Personally I'l look the term `Auto' more, to note that installation
and removal for these packages is done automatically.

> (marking a 'Remove' or 'Purge' packages as Hooked are non-sensical, but also
> non-harmful)

It doesn't make any sense at all, so it should be disallowed.

>  Have APT (perhaps controlled by a global option) mark packages
>  as Hooked when they are installed to satisfy a dependency.

You want to use the global flag to initialize the Auto/Hooked flag
probably.

>  This proposal does not require changes to the .deb format, but
>  probably will require changes to dpkg, in order to have it perform
>  correctly during 'dpkg --pending --remove', etc.

No it does not, since it a apt-specific thing dpkg does not need to
know about it, since apt will just call dpkg to do the work, not
make the decisions.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl