Re: Draft new DFSG

Avery Pennarun wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 06:31:22PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > Complete agreement here, I dislike the consitution, the new policy
> > maintainence system, developers not being able to close bugs in other's
> > packages, and all the recent buerarcracy of the past 6 months.
>
> What?  We can't close each other's bugs?  When did that start?

Developer's reference, section 7.1:

   Note that when you are neither the bug submitter nor the package
   maintainer, you are not empowered to actually close the bug (unless you
   secure permission from the maintainer).

I don't know when this came to be, I think it must have happened when I was
gone for a month around June, or I would have objected strenuously.

This is why you see so many bugs lately marked fixed or retitled to FIXED,
because they are fixed, but the person who fixed them or who notices they
were fixed lacks authority to do it.

> Mind you, I can't think of many good reasons to close someone else's bug,
> but I can't think of a good reason to stop us, either.

If I was able to reproduce it before, and I see a new version makes it
irreproducable, I personally think I should be able to close it.

Also, some bugs are quite plainly bogus or operator error, and it'd be nice
to be able to clear out clutter in the BTS by closing them when you notice
them.

--
see shy jo