Re: XFree86-3.3.3 is really not in slink?

On 30-Nov-1998, Remco Blaakmeer <remco-blaakmeer@quicknet.nl> wrote:

> And besides, how much does Debian care about the CD people, anyway? Are
> they so important that they could tell Debian not to release 2.1.x
> versions and that their orders would simply be followed?

More likely they would just stop selling Debian, and encourage their
customers to use RedHat, SUSE, Slackware, Caldera or any other
distribution that isn't a lot of trouble to sell.

I think it's a dumb idea to restrict Debian to those lucky people who
have the sort of net connection that allow you to download it.

I can tell you from experience that sales of Debian 2.0 started
dropping off as soon as Debian 2.1 was announced as frozen on slashdot.
Announcing a product months before it is released tends to do that.
(It also gives Debian a reputation for vapourware).
If everyone knows not to bother with 2.1 because 2.1.1 is just around
the corner, well that will kill sales too.

A *much* better solution is to just allow CD vendors to put 3.3.3 on
their CDs in an updates directory, so those people who need it can
install it (and deal with any bugs that are in it).
That way the CD vendors are happy, the release manager is happy,
and the end users are happy.

--

Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking
about my work.

Tyson Dowd   <tyson@tyse.net>   http://tyse.net/