Re: Do packagers need current systems?

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Thomas Adams wrote:

> If I want to start packaging software for Debian, do I _need_ to always run
> the latest system?

If your package needs a library for which the "standard" one in hamm
and slink are different, yes (libstdc++ for example, as it has been
pointed out).

If your package does not need any such library, no, there is not an
absolute need to always run the latest system.

For example, a new ncurses package should use 4.2, not 3.4, but this does
not mean you have to upgrade the *entire* system either, in this case a
few library and -dev packages are enough. "Your mileage may vary".

--
 "002c22dd49c12ab8b0b32432b1b2858d" (a truly random sig)