Re: Draft new DFSG

On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 05:37:48PM +0000, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 08:49:55AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > It was suggested I say this here even though others have said the same sorts
> > of things.
> >
> > I believe the suggested changes to (which is not changes but a complete
> > replacement) DFSG is a dud, completely.  I believe trying to adopt it will
> > hurt and quite probably destroy Debian.  Here's why:

All excellent reasons.  I really do like the fact that the DFSG is
easy to understand.  Anyone can wrap their head around it without
getting mired in the details.

> > Should Debian become crippled as the DFSG2 would cripple it, I'd
> > go and find myself a real distribution because Debian sure
> > wouldn't be anymore.

> I agree. The DFSG2 offers such a narrow definition of free software that
> I wouldn't enjoy working by its rules.

I would like to add that, as of late, Debian has seemed almost more
concerned with legal wrangling than high quality Free Software.  We
are mostly programmers, we should stick to that as much as possible.
While some licensing issues are bound to come up, the endless debates
are getting old, and cloggin up -devel.

What do we have to do to get a debian-legal created?  I'm not kidding.

Thanks,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org