Re: Draft new DFSG

Hamish Moffatt writes ("Re: Draft new DFSG"):
> On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 05:33:48PM -0500, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > Oh, you are right.  This is great.  Just great.  I'm also wondering
> > why certain Debian members tend to vote against KDE newsgroups.
>
> Surely that's a personal decision and not necessarily open for discussion
> here.

Indeed.

However, I'm usually happy to answer the question `why did you vote
against the XYZ newsgroup ?'

The answer in the case of the KDE newsgroup is that I have a stronge
objection to the charter clause which makes licensing discussions
off-topic.  If they thought their group was going to be swamped by
licensing discussions then they should have created a licensing
newsgroup too.

I mailed the proponent to inform them that this was the reason for my
`no' vote; I usually do this when I vote `no' on a newsgroup
proposal.

I read news.announce.newgroups reasonably thoroughly, and often vote
`no' on ill-formed proposals.  I was a votetaker around the time the
UVV was formed, and am still an anal-retentive namespace and charter
freak.  For example, I voted `no' on soc.subculture.bondage-bdsm (and
made myself quite unpopular with my `no' campaign) because of the
totally crap placement in the hierarchy and the totally crap charter -
even though I have more than a passing personal interest in the group.

Ian.