Re: Kernel Image with APM (Was: Things left to do for release.)

Neale Pickett <neale@lanl.gov> wrote:
> That's just wrong.
>
> Really.

Actually, what's wrong is the APM spec -- it requires that the bios manage
every piece of equipment hooked up to your machine during power shutdown.
[Which is silly and thus frequently has bad consequences.]

However, if you want to see APM as a standard part of the debian kernel,
why not figure out how to make it a loadable module?  [As I understand
it, this won't be pretty, but I don't really have any specifics on
this issue.]  If it's a loadable module it doesn't have to be enabled
on machines where it would cause damage.

--
Raul