Re: Fixes (in terms of bugs)

[Ccing to debian-doc as this impinges on the current documentation.]

> Previously Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > If you use the 'release --to master' command, you will be asked
> > whether you want to close the bugs mentioned in the latest changelog
> > after the new version has been uploaded.  In the meantime, for every
> > bug you've fixed, just send an email to nnnn-done@bugs.debian.org with
> > a subject like "Fixed in version XXX-YYY", and they will be cleared
> > from the bug tracking system.
>
> Please please please DO NOT DO THAT! You may only close a bug when the
> package is installed in the archive (ie when you get a message from
> dinstall that has happened). Closing bugs while the fix is still in
> Incoming is *evil*.

See my other mail to this list -- this is what release quite happily
does, and its man page doesn't say anything about it being evil.
Where would I (as a new maintainer) have found out that this behaviour
is evil, if this hadn't come up?  I haven't seen it in the docs.

   Julian

            Julian Gilbey             Email: J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
       Dept of Mathematical Sciences, Queen Mary & Westfield College,
                  Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, ENGLAND
      -*- Finger jdg@goedel.maths.qmw.ac.uk for my PGP public key. -*-