Re: Draft new DFSG

On Mon, Nov 23, 1998 at 06:21:31PM -0600, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
<snip>
> The only change I would propose to the DFSG is the addition of a
> clause explicitly stating that Debian can pass a resolution declaring
> any particular license "in" or "out", regardless of its actual
> wording.  This would effectively plug all loopholes and give Ian a
> chance to talk us into throwing out particular licenses that he finds
> repugnant even if they are technically in compliance.

I would strongly disagree to this, if a massive loophole is found then
we can patch the DFSG, but allowing us to up and decide that we don't
like a license which fits the DFSG is (IMHO) not acceptable..

If its a true violation of the intent and instead just a massive work
around the wording then we can change to wording, which seals the hole
for the future..

If its NOT truly a violation of the DFSG and we just don't like the
people who do it (IE The MS open software license which complys but we just
don't like) then we need to take a BIG step back and take a look at
ourselves, I'd like to think its actually about free software and not
picking at specific people...

Zephaniah E, Hull.