(la)tex on remote booted machines?

I'd need some advice concerning the latex subsystem:

In order to avoid several copies of one and the same files,
I want to share a common pool of e.g. latex fonts
(those which are usually newly generated
on demand) among net-booted client machines and a server.

Fact is that tex stores additional files under
/var/spool/texmf and /var/lib/texmf.
This is fine for the server side, however, in order
to share these files, a possible solution might be to
export /var/spool/texmf and /var/lib/texmf to each client.
I guess, this leads to some file locking problems
when server and clients try to update data concurrently.

Are there any concerns, proposals?

Best regards,
Ferdinand Schinagl
Institut fuer Halbleiterphysik