Re: Problem: installing hamm on laptop

On Sat, Nov 21, 1998 at 11:55:23AM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > (I feel like a broken record.) I do not understand why we build our
> > default kernels as bzImage. We build everything possible as modules,
> > so the kernel isn't very big. It will work fine as a zImage. There are
> > machines will not boot bzImages (my Toshiba Satellite notebook,
> > and even my clone desktop won't boot them reliably). Are there machines
> > that won't build zImages? Not that I've ever heard.
>
> Our kernel is nearly 700K mostly thanks to the SCSI drivers.  So zImages are
> out of the question unless someone gives us a working initrd configuration.

Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation.
I wonder if we could build a disk with zImage and no SCSI drivers as well?

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt       Mobile: +61 412 011 176       hamish@rising.com.au

Rising Software Australia Pty. Ltd.
Developers of music education software including Auralia & Musition.
31 Elmhurst Road, Blackburn, Victoria Australia, 3130
Phone: +61 3 9894 4788  Fax: +61 3 9894 3362  USA Toll Free: 1-888-667-7839
Internet: http://www.rising.com.au/