Re: QT non-free but becoming compatible to debian? (was Re: Qt license change)

Montreal Fri Nov 20 03:30:33 1998

Charles Briscoe-Smith <cpbs@debian.org> wrote:
> I'd like to see Qt in Debian ASAP after it is released with the new
> licence.

Cool...  the consensus seems to be that it does satisfy the DFSG.

> KDE might need more work on its licence before it, too,
> could be included.

Why?  Doesn't Qt deserve Motif-like status as a system library?  Motif
was the GUI API of commercial Unix and Qt can be one of the GUI APIs
of free Unix (of course, GTK+ would be the another).  Then, Qt would
be perfectly compatible with GPL and LGPL.

(I'm referring to this reasonable clause in the GPL:

However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or
binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on)
of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that
component itself accompanies the executable.
)

-N.