Re: Status of the LPR package

On 19 Nov 1998, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "SVK" == Sergey V Kovalyov <sqk0316@SCIRES.ACF.NYU.EDU> writes:
>
> SVK> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
>
> >> Then you just print to the local printer, which filters the input and sends
> >> it to the other definition (which as a remote definition ignores any
> >> filtering _it_ has - i.e. none) which sends it to the printer.
>
> SVK> AFAIK this would work only with lprng, not with lpr, and it is
> SVK> still WORKAROUND.
>
> No, this is the workaround for lpr. lprng will apply filters for
> remote printers. AFAIR.

Nope, I've tried, it does not. You still need a workaround called "bounce
queue". I am saying that yes, you can relatively easyly make it work with
either lpr or lprng, but it looks ugly: you need two queus per printer.
But it does not have to look ugly - just lpr should do exactly what i tell
it to: run the filter.

Sergey.