Re: glibc recompiling was Re: libc resolver problem solved (critical bug)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> We are currently looking at excluding libstdc++2.9 <some specific -x>
> using conflicts, and now it seems we need a range of dpkg exclusions as
> well. This raises two questions:
>
> 1. What is the maximum length of a Conflicts: field?

Older apt's were limited to about 200 chars, newer are about 1k chars and
the next version will be something like 32k give or take a bit. I don't
know what sort of limits dpkg has.

> 2. Can a range of version numbers be specified, and how?

Not that I can think of. The | construct is not valid in a conflicts
line.

> As another approach, does "==2.0.7u" cover all the -x releases, or must
> they be stated explicitly?

Must be stated explicitly.

You have to be -VERY- carefull here because if you choose the wrong
sort of relations you will create a confliction loop involving dpkg which
is extremely bad.

Consider:

libc6 conflicts with dpkg
dpkg pre-depends on libstdc++2.9
libstdc++2.9 depends on a new libc6

The only way this will work is if all version of libstdc++2.9 function
with the new dpkg and all versions of libc6 function with the new dpkg.

Oddly you might not be able to do anything with this, if you conflict with
all previous dpkg's then you won't be able to install dpkg or libc6 from a
libc5 system!

Jason