Re: swap and 2.1.128 dev kernel

cfm@maine.com writes:

> I'm having difficulties with swap.  Machines with 128Mb RAM are
> 10+Mb into swap, thrashing like crazy, and leaving 30Mb or so
> free RAM.  When I swapoff load goes down from 4+ to under .10.
> So I'm running without swap at the moment on those machines....

This sounds like one of the problems I've seen on linux-kernel.
Especially when reading a *lot* of data from files, the kernel pages
too aggressively.

The linux-kernel list is archived at:

    http://www.linuxhq.com/lnxlists/linux-kernel/

"Is there anyone who actually believes that USAicans are so modest or
intellectually honest as to be unable to find someone to sue?" - Cameron Laird