swap and 2.1.128 dev kernel

I've just jumped from the 2.0 series to 2.1.128 with latest
debian everything and pretty well purged of libc5 binaries.

I'm having difficulties with swap.  Machines with 128Mb RAM are
10+Mb into swap, thrashing like crazy, and leaving 30Mb or so
free RAM.  When I swapoff load goes down from 4+ to under .10.
So I'm running without swap at the moment on those machines....

Has anyone else seen/solved this?

Best,

cfm

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                            cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc        208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039