Re: Guile 1.3 == SO 4

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> My take on things is this:
>
> Jim B. was releasing guile snapshots to the development community for
> a while, which were just taht, snapshots.  Karl H, apparently thought
> they would be a good thing to have in Debian, and given all the other
> alpha and beta software we have, there was certainly nothing wrong
> with this reasoning.  Now, we have a stable Guile release, which is
> not a snapshot, but instead intended for general public consumption.
> Seemingly, Jim bumped the SO number before releasing it as 1.3.  From
> his point of view, I think this is all fairly reasonable.

(That's Jim Blandy, not Jim Pick)

Yep.  It probably would have been better if guile1.3 was really called
guile-beta (or something like that) while it was in pre-release mode.

You know I'm trying to get everybody to move to guile 1.3 before the
slink release, as I'm not really maintaining the guile 1.2 packages
anymore, and would really love to get them out of the release.

The guile 1.3 package should really have a libguile4 package (not
libguile3).  Can this be done really soon?  I'll even do an NMU if you
don't have time.

I want to upload a fixed Gnome (with gnome-guile) - so I'd like to get
that dependency fixed up.  The same thing goes for any other package
that uses guile.

Cheers,

 - Jim