XF86_SVGA 3.3.2 S3V support broken?

I've had,  in the past,  troubles with the S3V/VX support in the svga x
server -- it went away for a while,  but now it's back.  Anyway,  I'm
using a Diamond 3d 3400 (that's the 3d 3000 card with 4 megs of vram on
it).  The problem is easy:  run startx,  the machine freezes.  Completely.
Drops off the net,  too,  so I can't even ssh in to reboot cleanly.

If you guys have any suggestions for how to start debugging it,  I'd be
appreciative :) ...

					thanks,

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |