Re: A Proposal to solve the non-US problem.

--On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 2:56 pm -0600 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> In the longer run it might be better to have a network of masters
connected
> by a usenet-like flooding algorithm.  The restrictions would prevent
> packages from making illegal border crossings and prevent packages from
> being uploaded to 'illegal' masters.  Mirror administrators could then
> mirror masters in countries with compatible laws or else install the
> appropriate software and become 'leaf nodes'.

This certainly strikes me as an idea of considerable technical merit.

Potentially, one could even use usenet technology to implement it (although
it might be better to use something we made up...).

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Debian GNU/Linux - "Microsoft *does* have a year 2000 problem -     |
|                      and we're it!" (paraphrased from IRC)           |