Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Nov 15, Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> wrote:

 >> Alex, none of those restrictions apply to me and to developers living in
 >> most other countries. Why should I care about US regulations?
 >Because if for some reason you would decide to visit NY and bring your laptop
 >with you, you would have to erase the software in question before returning
 >back home. Is the software that requires you to go through such a hassle
That's fine, I don't plan coming to US and I don't own a laptop.
 >*free*?
Yes. The problem is not in the software but in the laws of your country.
You should try to understand that the laws of your country are not the
laws of the whole world.
Please answer this question: if in Northern Elbonia the use of graphical
interfaces become a felony should we drop from main every program
depending on X because they are not free anymore?

 >IMHO the situation here is exactly KDE - like. Free license, but imposed
 >restrictions of some other legal document (Qt license) made it even
 >non-distributable for Debian.
It's not. DFSG explicitly does not consider free software that depends
on non free software.

--
ciao,
Marco