(SOLVED!) Re: upgrade today killed netscape

Package: xlib6g

cfm@maine.com writes:
> I upgraded a dozen machines today to current unstable and everything
> seemed fine.  I was particularly happy that some of my problems
> with local ncurses apps went away.
>
> Unfortunately, none of our x86 machines will run netscape now.
> It gets as far as popping the main window but dies immediately thereafter
> with `bus error'.  Tried 4.05, 4.06, and 4.08 - all libc5 based.
> Eterm, xterm, rxvt and fvwm2.
>
> This may be a warning to others or it may be just a local thing.

The problem, at least in my case, is that a number of locale files
ended up not being installed---I suspect an interaction between
'provides', 'replaces' and changes in contents of various debs.

I found out about this by running cruft, and it told me I was missing
a bunch of locale files from xlib6g.  You might want to give cruft a
quick whirl on an afflicted machine.

The quick-and-easy solution is to reinstall xlib6g.  I'm also
forwarding this to the bug system, so that it's recorded as a problem
with the x packages.

Mike.