Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 04:24:33PM -0600, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> > If we put crypto software into main, we will be responsible for several
> > mirrors unwittingly violating US export laws.  However lame we think the
> > laws may be, deliberately inducing other people to unknowingly break the
> > law is not something we should *ever* contemplate doing.
>
> It is worse than that.  Putting the software on an ftp site from which you
> know it is likely to be exported is the same as exporting it yourself as
> far as the law is concerned.

Either way, the goal is to prevent the usage of crypto worldwide.  The FBI
doesn't want to have to ask the NSA to decrypt every little bit of traffic
out there for them so it becomes necessary to stop people from using crypto.
I'm surprised there aren't import restrictions yet.  I suspect there likely
can't be now, too many people would make too big a deal about it.

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.