Re: Intent to package Moscow ML

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 08:50:03AM +0100, Ole J. Tetlie wrote:
Hi Ole,

> *-Torsten Landschoff <t.landschoff@gmx.net>
> |
> | I am studying computer science and we are working with a language called ML
> | (Meta Language) there. I found out that there is a Debian package in hamm
> | which is called ocaml - the Objective Caml System. But it uses an entirely
> | different syntax than that I am used to.
>
> ML rules. :-)

Agreed.

> | So I looked at the web and found Moscow ML, which is quite close to what we
> | use at the university. Moscow ML is free so it can go into main. Here is my
> | control-file:
>
> Not to stop you from packaging this, but have you tried sml-nj? It's a
> commonly used implementation in universities.

Yeah, I got the sources but it won't compile without a binary already in
place. I do not know how I should proceede and SML-NJ is a very big system
compared to Moscow ML. I wanted to start with a small and easy package - I
will start working on SML-NJ soon. We use it at university, too :)

> | Package: mosml
> | Architecture: i386
>
> Are you sure that it won't work on other platforms? If not, you should
> use any.

A look into the configure-Script (no autoconf, too bad) shows up that it will
deny to build on a real 64-bit-architecture - everything else should work
thought. But I would like to be able to do some tests before releasing a
non-i386-binary. Would it be possible to get an account on some
m68k/alpha/...-machines?

I consider buying an M68K (driven by nostalgy, and I still have a bunch of
programs for Atari-compatible m68k) but I do not have the money yet. After all
I am only a poor student...

cu
	Torsten