Re: Abolish antisexism rules! Long live the equivalence of people!

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:

> john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
>   >Or do as Feynman did in his textbooks: randomly switch back and forth
>   >between 'he' and 'she'
>
> Remind me never to read Feynman.  Such writing is bad English; it reads
> awkwardly.  If you see "she" in a text, you expect that pronoun to refer
> to a specific woman who has been mentioned previously, or to a member
> of the whole class of women, ships or female animals.

I hope that John actually meant that the first time a person was
introduced, they would be male and referred to as "he", then when
_another_ person was introduced they would be female, not that their
sex would change mid-sentence.

In any case, I just picked a random chapter (15) of Feynman's Lectures
on Physics, and the only pronoun I came across was "he".

			   Close your eyes.