latest modutils problem?

I rebooted today for the first time in a while (a few weeks), and
when it came back up, module loading didn't work. A little investigation
led to the following discovery:

    /etc/init.d/kerneld was missing.

    /etc/conf.modules didn't include my local mods (ethernet card
    address, in particular).

A little hand-hacking has got stuff working again, but I'm slightly
disconcerted. I'm pretty sure *I* didn't blow away the files, so
I'm forced to conclude that the modutils upgrade (to 2.1.121-8) did
it. I didn't actually watch the install process, but there dselect
(apt-method) seemed happy at the end - any error messages had scrolled
offscreen.

I'd already (successfully) gone through the upgrade that rearranged the
files and moved the local stuff to /etc/modutils/conf.local. I took a
quick glance at the postinst, and it looks like there's a path that can
lead to no /etc/init.d/kerneld, but I'm not totally convinced yet.

Has anyone else had problems?

Steve