Re: Indefinite leave from Debian.

On Sat, Nov 07, 1998 at 01:37:52PM -0500, Igor Grobman wrote:
.
.I've been putting off this mail for a while, and I have no excuse for letting
.tasks go unattended so long, but I've been trying to pull myself back into
.Debian mode.  After ALS, I became very enthusiastic again, and was going to
.get into swing of things, but apparently it just does not work.  Not with
.my consciousness telling me that if I do get involved with Debian stuff as I
.used to, my grades will suffer (and boy, did they suffer last year...).  Not
.with my newly rediscovered love of classical music and theater (am I trying
.to get a life? nope, just a different kind of "no life" scenario).
.

you can all feel free to slag me for saying this, but at the end of the
day "real life" is far more important than just about anything else
in this short life we live. how much we can integrate Debian and the free
software ideology into our lives and jobs is surely determined on a case-
by-case basis but i'm sure there are others who are faced with the
same dilemma of "do i do this and let my real life suffer or can i
find a balance between this and that so that i can actually be a happy,
well-rounded human being who can capably and consciously consider
the reality that exists outside of computers and technology?"
it's certianly an issue i struggle to understand and overcome.

i guess each of our positions on this will be subjective to the extreme
and a lot of factors are involved as to where each of us fit into
the greater scheme of free software and its impact on culture as a whole.

so enjoy your life Igor and feel good about your decision and feel no
regret for deciding to do what's right for You.

chances are your role as a human being is far more important than
your role as a contributor to Debian could ever be. if Debian saves
humankind from destroying itself with nuclear weapons or solves
the infintely greater problems of hunger, poverty, or religious and
or racial hatred, i'll retract that suppostion, but not until then :)

with a little luck and hard work by the Project you can rest assured
that Debian will be here in the future if you choose to revisit it.

i really enjoyed meeting you in Atlanta and hanging out with you.
even if you aren't old enough to go into bars ;)

muggles

--

Horseman of the Digital Apocolypse